This space is about...my life, my loves, my children, my marriage, being real, keeping things simple, gaining clarity, insights, laughing, struggles, my ideas and my happy thoughts for the day...and me being present to the greatness of my life...thus my life's journey...being and doing love.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Our First Family Bike Ride

Our first family bike ride just happened 3 nights ago and I've been wanting to write about it even since, so here it is. All I can say was that it was truly AMAZING! And how it all happened too was incredible. As of 2 weeks ago, only Dave had a bike that has been hanging upside down in our garage for almost five years, but Caeden got a really cool Diego bike for his birthday (thanks to all the grandparents), then we got a bike trailer from a neighborhood garage sale for only $3 which needed a new axle and Dave fixed it for only $8 and then a client/friend of Dave's gave him a bike to give to me (Thanks Susan!). And then...Voila! We all have two wheeled transportation!

So, the other evening, Dave worked on all the bikes, putting air in the tires and making sure all the brakes worked good and we just got some new free helmets for the boys at an outdoor fall festival the previous Saturday and we were ready to go. So, we all mounted our bikes and strapped Dash (18 months old) in the bike trailer with his little helmet on and we were off. All, I could say was "Wow! This is so awesome! We're on our first family bike ride!" It was incredible watching Caeden peddle his bike all the way to the duck park and seeing how well he did...and this was only his 3rd time really riding it. He did an amazing job and wanted to race us and be the first one to the park. Of course he won! Go Caed! And then Dash looked so sweet in the bike trailer behind Dave and looked like he really enjoyed his ride, what a sweet boy! I think what was so amazing about this whole event that caught me off guard was the fact that I was riding bicycles with "my family"...my complete family including Dave the daddy, me the mommy and our boys. I didn't ever have that as a child growing up. Now mind you, my mom was great in taking us on bike trips, and we enjoyed them but my dad never joined us, it was always just the 3 of us, and to now experience a "whole" complete family doing something fun together was so beautiful and so foreign to me. But it was "my family"...all I can say is Wow! What a gift!

And also it was amazing that our boy Caeden who "just turned" 3 years old was riding a bicycle and wanted to race me to the park...that too was mind boggling. So, to my precious sweet boys and husband, THANK YOU! I love you all sooooo much! And I look forward to riding together for many years! Thank you God for this moment! I will forever treasure it.